If you’re an entrepreneur, you probably already know that SEO is important for your online visibility. But what even is SEO? And how do you optimize your website? This blog post will dive into the nitty-gritty of SEO with a quick primer.
What is SEO?
Search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing have complex algorithms to determine how a website ranks on their search engine. The algorithms take note of the website’s content such as the presence of the searched keywords on the website, the relevance of the text content to the keywords, images, internal links to and from different websites, as well as relevant external links to the website to rank a web page in the search engine.
Search Engine Optimization is the technique of optimizing the website content such as keywords, images, and text to optimize an in order to improve the search engine rankings and results. The ultimate goal is to improve the volume and quality of traffic to a website from popular search engines.
Kinds of SEO
There are two kinds of SEO; On-page and Off-page.
- On-page SEO means controlling all elements such as site speed, keyword presence, header title and so on.on your websites to improve your website ranking.
- Off-page SEO is quite like affiliate marketing. It involves generating links to the website from relevant web directories, review websites etc. Off-page SEO is implemented through other websites. In simpler words, it involves generating referral links on other relevant websites to bring the target audience to your website.
How Online Search Works
Search engines perform several activities in order to deliver search results.
- Crawling: The process of fetching all the web pages linked to a website. This task is performed by software, called a crawler or a spider.
- Indexing: The process of creating an index for all the fetched web pages and keeping them in a giant database from where it can be retrieved later. Indexing is identifying the words and expressions that best describe the page and assigning that page to particular keywords.
- Processing: After receiving a search request, the search engine compares the search string in the search request with the database indexed pages.
- Retrieving Results: At last, the best-matched results will be retrieved, which is simply displaying them in the browser.
Why You Should Care About SEO
Nowadays, many businesses are competing virtually. The Internet and search engines have become a platform for businesses to offer and consumers to seek services. Search engines serve millions of users per day with the answers that they are looking for. Hence, it is important for a business to rank higher in order to reach out to their target consumers. SEO plays a crucial role to boost visibility and the ranking of your business on search engines.
Once a famous comedian said, "The best place to hide your secrets is the second page of search engine." It makes quite perfect sense because nobody bothers to go on the second page of the search engine if they can find what they are looking for on the first page. In fact, the majority of Internet users are more likely to click on one of the top five suggestions in the search engine results pages (SERPs). Hence, to gain more website visitors or customers, you need to be at the top of the search results.
If you’re not convinced yet, here are a few more reasons SEO is important.
- Users trust organic search results compared to sponsored results. Having your business in the top positions for the keywords users are searching appeals to consumers, making your website appear genuinely popular and well-liked.
- SEO is good for the social promotion of your website. People who find your website through Google or Yahoo are more likely to promote it on social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter.
- SEO is cost-effective. Huge companies spend thousands of dollars buying paid traffic through Google Adwords and Bing Advertising. If a website ranks high on search engines, a business can gain target consumers without paying for it.
- SEO keeps the search results fair. If two websites are selling the same product/service, the search engine optimized website will have an increased number of customers as well as sales.
The Benefits of Improving SEO
Once your website ranking increases, your website will be attracting a large volume of visitors and your website will be in the limelight. Receiving a higher volume of visitors will automatically help your website stay on top of search results. This can be precious to any small or mid-sized business that can not afford a large advertising budget.
Better Conversion Rate
The conversion rate is the ratio of the number of people who become your customers to the total number of individuals who visit your web page. The highly targeted SEO will help grab the visitors who are seeking service that you provide. This will help to increase your rate of conversion by converting potential visitors into customers resulting in higher sales.
Search visibility plays a major role in making your brand popular. Being able to present your business in the top search engine results will gain a large number of visitors, which in turn enhances your brand awareness. Ranking higher for multiple keywords related to the services that you offer plays a major role in brand awareness.
SEO optimized websites load faster. They are easier to navigate and read and will help you to engage with your customers more efficiently. It helps you strengthen your relationship with the audience.
To enhance the presence of your brand online, you must adapt to the SEO marketing of today. Just launching a fancy website is not enough. Your website has to be marketed and promoted well to be present everywhere, given that a large part of the web traffic is driven by search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.com.
At Trusty Oak, we believe that online marketing is more than connecting our clients with their customers; it is about empowering the customer’s brand, providing measurable and tangible results that help our customers get highlighted in today’s busy online marketplace. To achieve this goal, we offer Inbound Marketing Strategies and hourly marketing assistants provided by our talented Virtual Assistants. Book your Delegation Strategy Session today to learn more!